June 12, 2012

Planned Insanity

So, I know it's been a while.  There's a reason: I can't stop knitting socks.  In nearly 5 months I've knit 16 pairs of socks....well, perhaps 18, depending on how long it takes me to finish Maeva and knit the second sock of Skew (Nevermind.  Finished sock two while writing this installment).  I've learned that my limit (for sanity's sake) is 3 pairs of socks a month.  That's all I can really handle.  Besides, at the moment, I haven't been able to cast on anything else.

Which is why, for the month of June, I signed up on Sock Knitter's Anonymous to knit 4 socks. Actually 5, but I removed one because it didn't qualify for the time limit.

Yes, 4.

And I volunteered to test knit a pattern.  Thankfully, she only needs one sock complete (here's looking at you, Skew2!)

Six socks in one month.  And I won't be home until mid-month.

No, I'm not losing my mind.

It's already vacated the premises.
My father, upon seeing my knitting successes with Mermaidia, In the Weeds, Bellflower Socks and Ginger Socks, has asked for a pair.  The choice of pattern didn't take long; I've long had a list of socks I wanted to knit for Daddy in my queue, so it was simply a matter of picking one.  Plus, I recently bought as many VeryBusyMonkey patterns as my budget could afford, so my preferred sock for him is Coriolis Effect.
Manly enough for him, enough interesting stuff to prevent me from losing my mind.

However, I also want to start working on the socks from The Knitter's Curiosity Cabinet, which I loved (side note- did I ever mention that the first sock I knit from the book, Chrysanthemum , is one of the featured photos on Ravelry!!!!!SQUUEEEEE!!!).  I looked at Pinus Silvestris and fell in love, not just because it's a beautiful pattern, but because it would have special meaning for my Dad.

This is my father's mortal enemy.
Southwest Georgia pines
© Mike Suss of Sussman Imaging
Pinus Silvestris, i.e Pine Straw.  This stuff is hell when it drops onto your yard constantly in the winter.  With an entire acre to clear, my father can't clear pine cones and straw away fast enough.

What better way to say "I love you" than to give my Dad the opportunity to literally and figuratively trod upon his mortal enemy?
The only problem with this sock is I want the exact right yarn for it.  I'm thinking of order Hazel Knits Artisan Sock in Bronze Age but I'm holding back for some reason....That probably has a lot to do with the fact that in the past month, I've ordered probably $300 worth of yarn.  That last $20 might be pushing it.  In any case, I keep holding off in case I find a better yarn.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  What do you think?  Christmas?  His birthday is a week before.  I might be able to come up for air and get them knit by then.....

The last option was the Par 5 Socks.  They're still an option.  But thanks to the pine straw, he really doesn't gold as much as he used to.

I've spent the past 4 weeks at home and I'm ready to go back home to Florida.  Not that I haven't had a great time at my parents, but I just miss the creature comforts of my own home.  Mom is driving down with me and she wants to leave on Thursday or Friday (I'm aiming for Friday), which will give me two or three days to get back into the comfort of my home before I have to vacate it for work.  This has been a great three weeks at home though.

I napped.

I watched lots of Netflix.

I read lots of documentation.

I helped clients get a module up and working sitting in my nighties (Yay Remote Work!).

I visited a few friends, including one I haven't seen in almost 4 years.

The only thing I didn't do is go see my grandparents.  I feel enormously guilty about that, but my sanity and need for rest won out.  Besides, I offered to got pick them up for Memorial Day and bring them to my Mother's, which is only 90 minutes away, and they shot me down.  My grandmother won't go anywhere, even if you propose to pick her up, unless you're my uncle Bernard, who somehow miraculously manages to get her into the car every time.  

I gave up.  One must make a pilgrimage to their house.  You cannot pluck them away from theirs.  I've even offered to have them come down to my house in Florida in the winters, much milder in Florida than Georgia, and they won't leave.

I'll try to convince them again this year.  I don't expect a lot of success, but I can at least try.

No comments:

Post a Comment