March 10, 2009

New Home Project

Like so many Americans, I've spent the last few weeks trying to figure out ways to cut back on my spending. I didn't do badly last year, but I want to bulk up my 401(k). So after getting a body blow from Quicken (I really spent $1200 on my CELL PHONE last year!!! Are you kidding me???), I decided to go outside.

I spent about 20 minutes in my backyard trying to decide where to put my square foot garden . . . I don't have a large backyard and every time I've attempted to grow something it has been a dismal disaster, but I'm going to try again.

Then I walked around to the front yard.
FrontYard004

That tree has got to go.

FrontYard015
The Palm tree might live to see another day, but that yellow grass thingy . . . I hated it the moment I saw the house.

Thankfully my neighbor Linda was on hand to help me figure out a plan.

    Me: Well, I was thinking I would hire a tree service to get rid of that tree and the grass thing because I hate them both

    Linda: Honey there's no need to to that! Get yourself a pair of ....umm...long clippers or a saw and saw that thing down. (Grabs branch and twists) Matter of fact, this thing is half-dead anyway so it should come down easy.

    Me: Umm...I don't have a green thumb, so I don't know if I should do this.

    Linda: Well, in this case, you're the perfect person for it. You're trying to kill the tree and if you're as bad as you say, this is right up your alley.

    Me: You have a point. . .and I have a hacksaw. . .

    Linda: Ring my doorbell if you need anything.
Yup, I do like my neighbors.
So here's what I accomplished in one hour:
Beginning: See Above

30 minute Mark:
FrontYard009

Done (45 Minute Mark):
FrontYard011

I left three weeds and a stump, but I'll get rid of those before the trash get here in the morning.

Now I'm pricing the garden . . . This is soooo much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment